Technology Park to open in 2014
The technology park will be a welcome stimulus for Fribourg’s economy, hence the overwhelmingly enthusiastic response that the project has received so far. Keen to build on this momentum, the project organizers have moved fast and, if all goes to plan, the park will be up and running by 2014. The project design and specifications will be ready by summer 2012, and the urban planning competitions will be launched at the end of that summer. The content of these documents will determine the form that the park’s infrastructure will take, with the first phase of construction scheduled to begin in the course of 2013.
Steering committee and project task force
A political steering committee comprising representatives of the city and the canton will oversee the design phase and define the strategic framework. Project management will then pass to a legal structure, which is currently being set up. The steering committee has also commissioned a project task force to coordinate the activities of the various working groups and to oversee the planning, design and financial management of the project. The task force comprises representatives from the city, , the canton, the agglomeration, as well as leading economic, academic and technology transfer institutions. The project task force also has a designated operational unit.
Nine working groups will be involved in the initial construction phases:
- Communication: media relations, communication strategy and tools.
- Urban planning and mobility: to study how best to integrate the new site in the existing urban landscape (traffic issues, public transport, pedestrian mobility, etc.).
- Preparation of the construction site: determination of what should be done with the existing buildings (reclaimed or demolished), preparing the site perimeter.
- Energy integration: defining the energy specifications, technology surveillance.
- Content: overseeing and promoting content-specific projects (type of infrastructure, type of activities), as well as the management of the forum and the idea contest.
- Architecture: defining the specifications for the architecture competition.
- Rentals: administration of rental requests and management of temporary rentals (in the existing premises).
- Legal structure: submission to the municipality of a common legal structure for construction work and operational management.
- Master plan: overseeing the drafting of the master plan.